Mar 14, 2019
Posted by Amanda Erskine • Nightlife Reviews
In Charlotte, St. Patrick's Day is almost as big of an ordeal as New Year's is. Either you're planning on going to one of the many St. Patty's Day themed parties around town, or you're crawling with thousands of other green-clad individuals at the Rich and Bennett's bar crawl or St. Patrick's Day Bar Crawl. Typically, I've been part of the latter, with my signature St. Patrick's Day themed sweater that I break out every year, but this year I'm feeling something a bit more low-key. Call it my mid-20s or a change of heart, but this year I am looking for an authentic St. Patrick's Day celebration in the form of good food, good music, and a cold Guinness.
Surprisingly, there are a handful of Irish-fare restaurants in Charlotte that serve up exactly that on a daily basis!
1. The Workman's Friend located in Plaza Midwood, this is one of the more popular Irish-fare restaurants in the city. Known for their great outdoor patio, and specialty cocktails, this is the perfect place to gather with a small group of friends and just catch up and reminisce over a couple of rounds.
2. Tyber Creek located in South End, is the type of bar that you can spend all day and night at. They have outdoor space with activities like cornhole, giant jenga, and tvs to keep you entertained throughout the day, and a dance floor near the DJ stand upstairs for you to end up at.
3. Rí Rá located Uptown is an unassuming Irish-fare locale, that you wouldn't suspect due to the large drunken crowds that it attracts every weekend. I've actually eaten here, and the food is delicious! Plus, they usually have a live band playing Irish music to really enhance the experience.
4. Connolly's on Fifth another uptown destination spot, Connolly's is the perfect place to grab a Guinness and relax on the back patio. Connolly's is owned by the same owners of a handful of other successful and popular bars around Charlotte (Tyber Creek Pub, Dandelion Market, The Workman's Friend, Prohibition, and The Daily Tavern), so you know you'll can expect a good time and great drink specials.
5.Belfast Mill Irish Pub located in Third Ward's Brevard Court, this pub FEELS like you stepped into Ireland with it's intimate bar setting and collection of Irish beers, Whiskeys, & cocktails. This is a great place to go to if you want to bar hop to other close Irish bars, because two others are located right next to it!
6. Valhalla Pub & Eatery another Irish favorite in Brevard Court, Valhalla is a great stop on your tour of Irish pubs in Charlotte. You can enjoy delicious Irish and American fare and pair it with a beer or artisan cocktail.
7. Murphy's Kitchen & Tap located right next to Brevard Court, this Irish gastropub is a good place to end your mini Irish bar crawl through Third Ward. They've got two patios for you to sit on and enjoy the views of Romare Bearden Park and the BB&T field, while you watch the bar crawlers stumble below.
8. Fitzgerald's, my personal favorite, is another day-to-night uptown bar that you could spend all day at if you wanted. Their live music, drink specials, and menu really do a good job of making you want to settle into a booth for the day. Plus their dark space makes it feel cozy and pretty Irish-pub-esque, if you ask me.